Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Fiberglass multicells?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member scharron's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2008
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Fiberglass multicells?

    Hi Guys,
    was wondering if any company ever made a good copy of a 511 horn out of resin, plastic or fiberglass, specificly without the vanes? I have seen some stuff that looked very close to that shape and curve, but wondered if anyone did a good one that you could mount small format drivers ie 802s and such on. There has always been a lot of discussion here about curing horn ringing and also the better dispersion patterns at closer listening positions that this design seems to deliver.
    just wondered if any of the sound guys here had seen such a thing. some of the old JBL stuff was very close.
    thanks,
    scott in nc

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    Adding to the question, any made from hardwood? Might be an interesting project for myself.
    Cheers

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Fiberglass multicells?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    The 511 isn't a multicell. I call it a radial, it is without the dividers, which lead Altec to label it "sectoral"

    But friends and I tooled up in the 70's and made fiberglass ones without the vanes.

    As far as getting a set , probably hard. We only made a couple hundred sets, some 35 years ago.

    There are lots of similar fiberglass horns...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    ... it is without the dividers, which lead Altec to label it "sectoral" ...
    OT:

    I't's been my impression that the term "sectoral" indicates the intended (theoretical) radiation pattern of the horn.

    In theory, an omnidirectional source radiating into free space is analogous to an expanding sphere. Using a device such as a horn to concentrate the radiation directionally can produce a pattern that can be considered a "sector" of that sphere, hence "sectoral".


    4

    I know some types of RF horn antennas have been classified as "sectoral" for this reason (none of which utilize any fins or dividers). I've not seen any backup for this as Altec's intention, though it stands to reason enough for me to accept it...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    Fiberglass multicells?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    Quote Originally Posted by scharron View Post
    Hi Guys,
    was wondering if any company ever made a good copy of a 511 horn out of resin, plastic or fiberglass, specificly without the vanes? I have seen some stuff that looked very close to that shape and curve, but wondered if anyone did a good one that you could mount small format drivers ie 802s and such on. There has always been a lot of discussion here about curing horn ringing and also the better dispersion patterns at closer listening positions that this design seems to deliver.
    just wondered if any of the sound guys here had seen such a thing. some of the old JBL stuff was very close.
    thanks,
    scott in nc
    I think JBL's Bi-Radial horns is basically a 511 without the vanes.Forget the model # as I'm not a JBL guy !

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I think JBL's Bi-Radial horns is basically a 511 without the vanes...
    Not really;

    Flat-Front Bi-Radial? Horns -- 2380 Series

    Bi-radial horns have radial expansion in both axes. Altec sectorals are only radial in one axis, and if you factor in the preliminary vertical "neck-down", not really that.

    Radial 'glass/plastic horns are pretty common though, by several manufacturers. EV's HR90 is ~pretty close.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    Fiberglass multicells?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    Thanks Bfish ! :2thumbsup:

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Fiberglass multicells?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    Out of curiousity started digging..McGraw-Hill's Scientific Dictionary sez:

    (′sek?tə?rəl ′h?rn)

    (electromagnetism) Horn with two opposite sides parallel and the two remaining sides which diverge.


    Altec horns certainly don't fit that definition. Dunno.

    Webster's comes up with...

    Sec?tor`al
    a. 1. Of or pertaining to a sector; as, a sectoral circle.

    Whatever that means ...

    But then...TheFreeDictionary sez

    sec?tor (sktr, -t?r)
    n.
    1. Mathematics
    a. The portion of a circle bounded by two radii and the included arc.


    The mathematics A definition sounds likely to me. Which would be a radial horn.

    We may never know why Altec referred to them that way. But then what's the fun of knowing everything?
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member scharron's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2008
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells?

    Hi Guys,
    thanks for all the replies. good info here. just seems like there has been a lot of talk about vanes and trying to deaden the 511 and 811 horns and I was just curious if some one had taken it to another level and found and/or installed some other horns in their various altecs with any degree of sucess or satisfaction. not sure I would want to do it to my maggies but possibly in the home theater A7s. thanks again guys.
    scott in nc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.